Our Brother telephone/fax/answering machine has not been sending facsimiles at a good quality level. Printing a received fax is fine, but recipients who receive quality faxes from other people receive mine with a two inch, oops! 5.08 cm wide blank strip to the right of centre. Cleaning doesn't seem to change that.

And so - I bought an Epson Stylus Office TX600FW. It won't print on CDs so I will have to continue with my Avery Inkjet Media labels.

There does not seem to be a guten driver for the printer so the dialogue window for the printer is the traditional Epson style so you don't know what dpi level is being used at the various options. However, to date the few scans and prints look very good.

Initially I could not use the provided scanner software and had to access the scanner through Photoshop Elements. I contacted Epson Support by phone and got a very helpful person who after checking set up with me suggested I uninstall the Epson Scanner program, restart the computer and then reinstall the program. I'm using wireless so ran through the set up once more for the scanner after the reinstall and it worked. Big thank you to Epson Support.

Two faxes sent to one of my sons, one BW one colour, and both gave very good quality.

Thanks for all the comment on my first choice the R290, but Brother and Canon seem to dominate in most stores I visited. I eventually found Epson at Tandy and Dick Smith. Neither Tandy nor Dick Smith had the R290 so I bought the TX600FW from Tandys.

One down side to the new acquisition is that I cannot use my Epson 35 mm Film Adapter for scanning slides on it so I will have to keep my old Epson Perfection 1260 Photo scanner. The TX has card slots, ethernet and usb ports only.
Merv

I also have a photo R290 and have had no problems either with paper jams or printing to CDs. Although inks are not cheap I suspect that per page printing is cheaper than my previous Canon and definitely cheaper than my HP.

Barry