Hello Jennifer,

There are two distinct issues to consider, DVD region coding, and the TV colour playback system.

The DVD industry imposes an artificial, commercial system of coding onto (most) DVDs. They divide the world into seven regions, and their intention is that a DVD player bought in one region will only play DVDs sold for use in that region. Most manufacturers only pay lip service to this - generally a player as bought will be restricted to one region's DVD's, but a one-off entering of a special sequence of codes on the remote control will release the restriction.

More fundamental is the TV colour transmission systems. There are three main standards for this: NTSC, PAL and SECAM. NTSC is used in North and Central America, northern South America, Japan and a couple of other places. SECAM is used in Russia, France and former French colonies. PAL, or a variant of PAL, is used everywhere else.

A DVD player will generate signals using the transmission system for the country where it is sold. Many modern television sets will accept signals for more than one standard.
In the UK, dual PAL/NTSC sets are very common.

So, for use in Australia, you might need a Region 4, PAL DVD. However, you might have a multi-region player, which would make the region coding irrelevant. You should also check whether your TV will accept NTSC signals as well as PAL, which would make the transmission standard irrelevant too.