Hi Mike,

Just wanted to throw my two bobs worth in.

Ronni's explanation is on the money. At the risk of losing you I thought I'd
add a ramble too (apologies if you know all of this).

The issue with all network design is that it is not just about the quoted
speed, especially when it comes to wireless. You need to take into account
the whole network end to end. Speeds are quoted in Megabits per second (not
bytes as is sometimes misunderstood). We deal in files that are bytes,
kilobytes, Megabytes and Gigabytes. There are overheads when sending data
over the network to ensure it gets where it is supposed to go and other
things such as encryption (generally 30%-40%). So if you have a Gigabit
Ethernet connection you are not really getting 1000 bits per second, more
like 600-700 bits per second (this varies). Similarly with wireless. 802.11b
provides for wireless 'up to' 11Mb/s, and 802.11g 'up to' 54Mb/s. These are
both delivered on the 2.4Ghz frequency, the same as most cordless handsets,
microwaves and other wireless equipment. 'b' &  'g' are compatible because
of this. There are products that boost the signal strength and speed but
they are proprietary and not standard. 802.11a is also 54Mb/s but is
delivered on the 5GHz frequency range, meaning less conflict with other
equipment. 802.11n is designed to provide faster speeds and better range.
Where it comes into it's own is when you are doing video streaming and other
multimedia applications, or have several devices that need higher speeds.

Most people spend lots of money on network gear because it is the latest and
fastest without considering the use. There is no point having a 140Mb/s
wireless connection so that you can access videos online, if you have an
ADSL connection of 2Mb/s. No matter how hard you try, you'll only get 2Mb/s
(minus overheads!). If you are sharing files across your own network then
the faster speeds become worthwhile, as long as the network adapters in the
computers can connect at those speeds.

I think for most people at home, the 802.11g modem/router/access point(s)
are adequate, even with a number of computers, since most of them are
generally only sharing the Internet connection. I think you'll find Ronni's
old base station will do the trick!

Cheers,
Stuart