On 06/08/2009, at 12:20 PM, Brian Risbey wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have just installed latest update, so is it possible to create a system disk, on a dvd, similar to one that comes with a new machine, from current system? So if all goes wrong, er never has... I could just do a fresh install. (Yes, I use Time Machine.)

MacBook Pro 2.6
10.5.8

Thank you

Brian

You use Time machine.... which should mean you have an external hard drive .

You would do better to split your external drive into 2 voliumes , one of them small but
large enough to hold a working system , the other for time machine .

Make it bootable Firewire on PPC Mac but possibly USB on some intel Macs.

That way if you are in trouble you can run off the external drive while you housekeep on the troublesome system , at worse copy back the system from the external drive .
Superduper or carbon copy cloner is your friend .

DVD is about 4.5Gb ,  Double layer will get you about 9 GB ,
either way not large enough to hold a full working system .

my 2cents

Bob