first thing to do is boot from the installer CD (doesn't have to be the one for the current version just has to be an OSX boot CD compatible with your mac) after it finishes booting and gets to the start of the installer go to the menu item and select
"Reset Password"

if this stil fails to allow you to admin then in the system preferences users panel are there any accounts showing as "admin"?

if they show as "managed" or "standard" then a software update has failed to return admin rights to users. (it temporarily removes admin rights to stop users installing or doing other system modifications while an apple system updater installer is running)

to fix this boot in to single user mode ad delete the file that tells the mac at each boot that original setup has been done (forcing it to ask you to set up a new admin account)

Restart the machine holding down Command-S

at the command line

mount -uw /

/bin/rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

reboot

after it has rebooted you will be in the initial setup process as if it was a new mac (don't worry all your users and data are still there) create a new admin account with a different name to any you have used.... then once you've finished the setup go in to the system preferences and use this new account to reset the passwords and change the type of account for any users you need......

... this also shows you why a combination of encryption and physical security is the only real security for data... (and yes there are ways of getting the equivalent effect in Windows and Linux with about as much (little) time and effort)