Hi Susan,

Interesting article.
If I was Pat, I would download and run the OSX Update Combo 10.5.8 "Twice" (as recommended on the link you supplied). <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/082809-fixing-permissions-in-leopard-and.html >
After installing the Combo twice, then  repair permissions.

Pat might find she needs to Run Repair permissions a few times.