Hello Adrian,

Don't know about WIndows 98 I think you might be out of luck there, you can with Windows XP ... NOT easy, but CAN be done ... "apparently". A search on Google brings up lots of interesting suggestions for you to read through ;-)

"Unlike Mac OS X, Windows XP is not designed to boot from external hard drives. Thus, getting XP to boot from an external drive to be used with your Intel Mac requires some work." <http://guides.macrumors.com/index.php?title=Booting_Windows_XP_From_An_External_Drive&printable=yes >

Booting Windows XP From An External Drive:
<http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f45/booting-windows-xp-external-drive-184940/ >

And a "Moderately Challenging" instructions here: You need a Windows machine to format the drive NTSF <http://www.ehow.com/how_4814278_install-windows-external-hard-drive.html >

Install Windows to a Macintosh USB drive (without Bootcamp):
<http://tubeshards.wordpress.com/2006/12/05/install-windows-to-a-macintosh-usb-drive/ >

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard