I think Ronni and Matt maybe onto something here.

We bought a canon MD 225 Digital video Camcorder for our Hands-on straw bale workshops last summer, so I think I'll have a look at its manual and give that a try.

Groovy

This group is so helpful . Ranks up there with http://www.firstfives.org

Hi Gary, Just a often overlooked cheaper option in analogue to digital conversion and then burning onto DVD. <snip>
Hope this helps
Matt

Well Gary, you can do it the long way like I did a few years ago.

Basically you need a camcorder (with DV IN/OUT) to record to from the VHS, then import the footage into iMovie, edit it and then import the edited movie into iDVD to make a DVD.<snip>

howdy
I saw this advertised,
http://www.kaiserbaas.com/KBA03001_video_to_dvd_maker.html

but review for mac OS aren't promising.