I have a 15 inch MacBook with a hardware problem. If the computer is asleep and the screen closed, I raise the screen on its hinge to wake the computer up.

Everything is fine, the screen comes to life, until a certain angle when the screen goes black and beyond that angle it stays black until a few minutes have passed then it displays fine. If I open the screen to where it is normally readable i am left with a black screen for a few minutes. Of course this could become worse and stay black permanently so I want to fix it.

It is probably a sensor problem in the hinge. Can I fix it by dis assembling and spraying with CRC contact cleaner?

Does anyone have a dead MacBook with spare hinge? Not sure if it the right or left hinge until I pull it apart?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks John Charlick