Thank you to all for the suggestions received about this problem.  Here is how
I fixed it.

I created a test account and had a look at what existed before Address Book had
been opened.  I determined that the entire folder called AddressBook at
Library/Application Support is not created until the first time Address Book is
opened.  I dragged in a good AddressBook folder copied from another account and
the Address Book application immediately adopted it when booted.

I then went into the problematic account and removed the dodgy AddressBook
folder to Trash and restarted the computer.  Repeating the previously tested
sequence, I placed the known-to-be-good AddressBook folder into
Library/Application Suppport.  It has again been adopted okay. Phew. Another
triumph for humans over machines.

The incident appears to have happened to me as a result of the Snow Leopard
install.  I suggest people who are yet to install Snow Leopard first make a
copy of the entire AddressBook folder and/or do an exported copy of the list of
contacts.  This option is found under the pull-down menu ‘File.’  A exported
list done a couple of days before my Snow Leopard install saved my bacon.

Kind wishes, Paul.