This is reasonably common limitation on older digital cameras
The limitation is that the camera can only reading FAT 16 disk format which has a limit of 2GB.

Any CF card above this will be FAT 32.

You can, theoretically, reformat these drives as fat16 (formats them as 2GB drives) .

As to what cameras accept FAT16 or FAT 32.... google helps if it's not listed in the manual

I have the following "old" CF equiped cameras

Canon EOS D60 released  mid 2002
Canon Powershot G3 released  late 2002
Canon Powershot A80 released late 2003

by dumb trial an error (ie bough the cards found they didn't work in one or other camera I discovered that:
The D60 and the A80 are limited to FAT16
but the G3, released a whole year before the A80 and only a couple of months after the D60 has FAT32 support.