From: Peter McCallum <p...@kookaburrafilms.iinet.net.au>
Date: 18 September 2009 7:59:47 PM AWST
To: Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com>
Subject: Bingo, it worked Thank you so much.

Ronnie
You are a legend.
Completed step one, restarted and viola.
Software update works.
Hope you get some much deserved rest, peace and quiet.

Surgical solution, thank you.

Kind regards Pete McCallum

On 18/09/2009, at 7:19 PM, Ronda Brown wrote:

Thanks Peter,

As you can see I have not logged off as yet. I will have to after sending this email to you I have been working since before 5am this morning and need a break before catching up with my Clients work.
I feel your Software Update has become corrupted.
I suggest you reset the Software Updater Function: Please follow these instructions carefully, print them to make it easier for you to follow:

Like any other application, problems can occur if any required resources have become corrupt. From here, the application will start properly and not run correctly. These resources can include the program’s preferences files and caches. In addition, when updates are applied, a receipt is generated that Software Update reads to know what updates have already been installed. If an installation fails, but the receipt is left, software update may not try to install a needed update. Additionally, if a receipt is corrupt, then software update may try to repeatedly install the same update.

Assorted fixes for the issue include the following steps:
Fixes:
1. Remove Software Update preference and cache files.
If Software Update seems to be unable to complete an update, and either freezes or quits half-way through checking for updates, then try removing the application’s preferences and cache files from the following locations: /username/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ –> remove “com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.NUMBER.plist” /username/Library/Preferences/ –> remove “com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist” /username/Library/Caches/ –> remove “com.apple.SoftwareUpdate” (folder) /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ –> remove”com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist” After removing these items, restart the system for the changes to take effect and try launching Software Update again.

If still not functioning correctly:
2. Remove faulty receipts.
If an update continuously appears and is being applied, try removing the receipt for that specific update. The receipt should be located in the /Macintosh HD/Library/Receipts/ folder and will be named something similar to the update files (i.e., FrontRowUpdate2.1.7.pkg). Do not delete the receipt, but instead move it to the desktop or some other location and retry the update. If it still does not work, replace the receipt in its original location, since it may be required and isn’t the root of the problem.