On 4/11/2009 1:08 PM, Peter Bull wrote:

A mate of mine asked me about Content management systems or CMS so that
he can upload pics and content to his website. I know very little about
them - is their a favourite package? Are they just an integrated web
authoring tool with built in FTP to upload content?

Peter Bull
pb...@bbnet.com.au

Depends what he wants.

For blogs there is software like Wordpress, or sites like Wordpress.org and Blogspot.

For photos there's software like Gallery, or sites like flickr, mobileme, picasa, etc.

More generally there are CMS's like plone, drupal and Joomla.

Some things to consider:
* Do they want the photos to be accessible to everyone, only their friends, or some other arbitrary groupings?
* Are they writing articles to go along with the photos?
* Is the content updated in a linear blog-style?
* Are they going to run ads?
* Is the audience local or based somewhere else in the world?

If you want to compare CMS's there's the CMSMatrix site

http://www.cmsmatrix.org/

Have fun,
Shay