I think you should check the output socket. It sounds as though it is not
properly resetting when you take the external line plug out. Hence isolating
the internal speaker.
It is generally the spring contact not properly reseating, due either to
mechanical failure aka breaking, or dirt on the contacts.

hope this helps

robin