Problem 1 - When importing MP3 music sourced from a CD into iTunes the file
name is severely truncated.   How can I overcome this?

Problem 2 - Can the file name (Name column in Music Library) be edited
within iTunes?

My music collection is in MP3 format with the bulk on data CDs.   I am
importing it all to my new iMac (iTunes 09) with storage on an external USB
HDD (Maxtor 500 MB equally partitioned for Time Machine and Music).
Original music sources include recent MP3 downloads from Naxos Classics
Online, CDs, audio streaming and files created from cassettes and vinyl LPs.

Many imported files display their full 60 character filenames in iTunes.
However if the original source was a standard CD the iTunes library Name
column only displays the first 30 characters of the track filename.    The
full 60 character filename is displayed in Finder.   This is a significant
problem:  I now have, for example, a dozen tracks with Name of <Beethoven -
Piano Concerto No>.    I need to know the rest of the filename giving
concerto, movement and opus numbers!   The filename in Finder displays the
full description which includes the remaining characters such as <No 5 -
Emperor - 01 - Op73>.

The Naxos files (downloaded in MP3 format) and all home recorded tracks from
vinyl LPs etc display their full file names in iTunes.

There is no difference in truncation if I import the data CD by dragging the
icon into iTunes, copy a single file, or play a track and allow iTunes to
automatically add it to the library.

Regards

Alan

iMac 21.5" Nov 2009