Hi Kim,

I googled your surveillance system and came up with this manual:
<http://www.pacom.com.au/ebooknoprice/catalogue/images/S75402.pdf>

I don’t know if this is your actual system but looking at the specs is says:

Under recording and playback:
* Compression Method - MPEG-4, Simple Profile
* Recording Mode - Time-Lapse, Event, Pre-Event (up to 30 sec regardless of
IPS), Text-In
* Search Mode - Calendar, Time/Date, Event Log, Text-in, Bookmark

And under network:
* Remote Software - Monitoring, Playback, Setup, Upgrade, System Status
Check, Image Capture & Print, Clip Player, Web access via I.E.

So it would seem that the actual video should be MPEG-4 but I am assuming
the .clp format is something it uses for its “Clip Player” software –
perhaps it includes more than just the video – such as info pertaining to
“event log”, “text-in” etc (I’m just guessing here)

Some approaches to try are:

* Sometimes proprietary formats are actually bundles of files (eg the
“packages” that mac software comes in, or the .itlp that iTunes LPs use) -
to check this select the file in finder and “right-click” it  - then in the
drop-down menu, if there is a “show package contents” option click it and
another finder window will open showing all the components of the bundle. If
there is no “show package contents” option then it is probably not a file
bundle.
* If you don’t have it already, download the VLC media player
<http://www.videolan.org/> I often find this will play things that quicktime
fails to -  just open VLC and drag the .clp file onto the media player
window – then select it and hit the “play” button.
* Try just changing the file extension to .mp4 and see if you can play it
(again, try the VLC media player)

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Neil