On 28/11/2009, at 4:26 PM, David Moyle wrote:

> Quick query as well, you mentioned that Apple Mail in 10.6 uses a different
> mail storage standard? Is this mbox as I saw you mentioned that in another
> e-mail thread? So now they're using the same as Mozilla Thunderbird from
> memory and similar to Eudora from the 90s.
>
> Appreciate the info Ronni.

Hi David,

I'm not sure how to answer your "quick query" ...

When I mentioned "Importing Mail messages:The first time you launch Mail, a
window prompts you to “upgrade” your existing email messages. This extra step,
which Mail does not permit you to skip if you already have saved messages,
should take no more than a few minutes, and is necessary because the Snow
Leopard version of Mail uses a different database format to store information
about your messages."

The "Structure" of the Mail Database is different in Snow Leopard's Mail
version 4.x, to the Leopard Mail v3.x & Tiger Mail v2.x
Databases.

In regard to Apple Mail v4.2 in 10.6 using .mbox folder format.
In pre-Tiger versions, Mail stored its messages in standard .mbox files.
Then in Tiger Apple modified the way Mail stored its email messages
individually as .emlx files (to enable Tiger's Spotlight to search them).
Now Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) & 10.6 (Snow Leopard) use “.mbox” as the package
suffix for the folders that hold email message files in ".emlx" format.

In Snow Leopard's Mail Database - Home > Library > Mail, there is a "Bundles
(Disabled) folder). Whenever you launch Mail under Snow Leopard, it
automatically disables all plug-ins that haven’t been explicitly updated for
compatibility with Mac OS X 10.6 to eliminate potential conflicts.

Another thing I've noticed different from Leopard is in Mail 4.x is an
Attachment folder in the INBOX.mbox folder of POP accounts,
In Mail 3.x, the Attachment folder was added for INBOX.imapmbox folders, but
not POP mailboxes, until now in Mail 4.x.

Also Mail.app in Snow Leopard is 64-bit.

Others on list can possibly answer your query and explain it better than I.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)