On 30/11/2009, at 11:58 PM, Steven Knowles wrote:

> I have an IMAP account set up, in which were quite a few messages.
>
> A 3rd party also accesses this same IMAP account, and this 3rd party
> inadvertently deleted all of the messages. The account synchronised at my
> end, and so my view is also empty.
>
> However, if I check the folder at Library > Mail >
> imap-acco...@domain.com@mail.domain.com > INBOX.imapmbox > Messages, it's
> full of emlx messages. Intuitively I would have thought such a folder would
> be empty, in line with the empty IMAP account.
>
> However, there is another folder - Library > Mail >
> imap-acco...@domain.com@mail.domain.com > INBOX, but in this folder the
> subfolders are only Apple Mail To Do.imapmbox, Deleted Messages.imapmbox,
> Drafts.imapmbox, Sent.imapmbox, Trash.imapmbox.
>
> With a view to recovering the lost messages which were in the IMAP account,
> which folder is the correct one to be looking in? I have all backing up to
> Time Capsule, so recovery shouldn't be a problem as the prior to deletion of
> the messages, the IMAP account had been sitting stagnant for a while. But I
> want to be sure I'm looking in the right place.
>
> Also, once I know which is the right place to find the deleted messages, what
> do I drag and where do I drop?
>
> Many thanks, Steven

Hi Steven,

I don't know how you have your IMAP Account setup to synchronize.
Do you have it Automatically Synchronize Changed Mailboxes in the Advanced tab
of your IMAP account?
Or do you synchronize messages manually?

Have you tried  choosing Mailbox: Synchronize: Account Name (or Mailbox:
Synchronize All Accounts).

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard