Has anybody had much luck in 'tethering' windoz smart phone to a mac for the purpose of internet sharing?

Mike

Ronda Brown wrote:

On 08/12/2009, at 10:50 AM, Michael Hawkins wrote:

I'm out of contract for mobile broadband and about to come out of contract
for a mobile phone. I thought that because my mobile broadband dongle
contained a sim card I assumed it could be used in a mobile phone (and
vice-versa), and so have been trying find out if all I need to do to connect
to the internet is to plug my mobile phone into my Mac's usb port, and "dial
up". Is that what "tethering" is, and if so, who offers it and what phones
can be used?

Hi Michael,

Definition of "tethering":
Tethering is the process of using a cell phone or smartphone as a modem for a personal computer of some sort - typically a laptop computer. The term gets its name from how a phone is attached, or tethered, to the computer via a USB cable, but wireless technologies such as Bluetooth can also be used for tethering. Typically the network carrier and the user's account (contract) have to support tethering before it can be used. Many networks charge an additional fee for users that wish to connect their phones as tethered modems because it typically uses far more data than using the phone normally would.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)