Hi Lloyd,

Your computer is unwell. It should never be that slow, regardless of
OS. You have the option of starting up in Safe Mode which is quite
limited but turns of any optional plug-ins.
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455>
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564> At the end of this e-mail, can I
suggest that you unplug as many USB accessories as possible, then boot
into Safe Mode?

Just to be clear with the Activity Monitor: do the 'disk', 'cpu' and
'network' summaries show relatively zero activity? Problems are
generally-speaking due to a bottleneck in disk (low disk space - not
in your case; or bad blocks), RAM (run-away programme consuming memory
and causing virtual memory to be used), network (uncontactable DNS
server; or remote attacker flooding the computer), wifi/bluetooth
(similar to network), CPU (rogue process), or due to corruption of
files, drivers or filesystem.

What's critical is what's going on *while* the delay is occurring, not
what's happening You've mentioned that "everything" is slow, but your
only examples were starting up and opening disks for the first time.
Can you test these tasks before booting into Safe Mode, and then test
them again in Safe Mode (if it lets you):

- Disk: Try copying a very large file (one that takes at least 10
seconds). Does it start pretty quickly and proceed evenly toward the
end, or does it sit idle?
- CPU: Try running the 'visualiser' in iTunes. Do you get a reasonably
smooth frame rate, or does it take forever to load and then perform
jerkily?
- Network: If you visit <http://www.google.com.au> does it take a lot
longer than <http://66.102.11.99/>?

James