I have Mac files dating back to those created in 1985 on my first Mac, a 512, and have have been retaining the important ones ever since.

Yes, changes in storage technology have meant that I have periodically had to re record material onto new media, mainly from floppy disk to CD, and now to DVD.

I am also aware of the often limited life of the stored files, so have a program of re-copying anything stored on a medium older than five years. I always burn optical files at the slowest of the burner's burn rates. I suspect this is the reason why none of my 5 year + optically stored files has so far become unreadable. I also make off-site copies.

However, I have found it critically important to keep a careful record of the file types that I am storing., I ensure that, as I re- copy files after 5 years, I convert files from old or obsolete applications to files that current applications can read and open. Examples are early PageMaker and Multiplan files. These are now InDesign and symbolic-link files. I have similarly converted all of my old M$ Word documents to rich-text documents.

To date, my backup collection consists of around 450 CDs and DVDs

My current big concern is in what format to store my photo files. I currently store them as uncompressed TIFF files, a format that has been with us for a long time. Can anyone suggest a better format?