Yeah Ronni,

Another neat little trick!

Interestingly with my two iMacs sat about 1.5m apart in the same room, the
plastic-backed older 24² iMac consistently shows a transmit rate of 54 (ie
the max for my ³g² level Airport Express) whereas the new metal-backed 27²
iMac shows a lower transmission rate (has varied between 36 & 48 on a few
recent checks).

The RSSI (received signal strength indication, Reg) shows differently on
every check - changing from around ­68 to ­76 so far but, interestingly, the
RSSI for the new iMac is sometimes better, sometimes worse, than the old
iMac but the transmission rate is always lower.

At first, I thought the slower transmission rate of the new iMac was
probably down to the metal back cutting down the reception relative to the
old plastic back ­ however, if that was the case I would have also expected
to see the RSSI as consistently lower?

For what its worth, the new iMac is running 10.6.2 while the old iMac is
running 10.5.8 and I note that there is more info shown under 10.6.2 than
10.5.8, eg: Phy mode: 802.11g and the freq. (2.4GHz) after the Channel
number ­ also 10.6.2 shows Airport scanning for new networks around every 10
seconds, whereas 10.5.8 doesn¹t ­ I¹m presuming it is still scanning for new
networks, but just doesn¹t display this info under 10.5.8?

Cheers

Neil.
--
Neil R. Houghton