On 18/01/2010, at 12:25 PM, David Noel wrote:

> Hi Gang --
>
> -- A surprise this morning. I was working on my iMac when a grey tint
> came over my screen, and a message came up that I had to restart the
> machine by pressing the power button till it closed, then pressing
> again till it restarted. This worked OK, but I am puzzled by what
> caused it. The temperature is 42 deg here, could this have any
> bearing?
>
> David Noel / Jan
> (Intel iMac, 10.6.2)

This is the Mac OS X equivalent of the Windows "Blue Screen of Death", and
occurs in response to a "Kernel Panic". Fortunately they are seen very rarely
in a properly-running Mac, and but can be produced by any number of factors,
heat being one of them. If you haven't already done so, download a copy of the
iStat Pro Widget <http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/>. This handy little
Dashboard Widget tells you at a glance what the operating temperature of your
computer and CPU is at a glance.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948