Hi Peter,

If you want the disk to be usable by both Windows and Mac systems, it's best to
have the disk in FAT32 mode, which can be done via Disk Utility in Snow Leopard.

NTFS is readable by your system, you just won't be able to write to it without
third party software.

If you are just going to be just using the disk on your Mac system, I'd
recommend formatting it to Mac OS Extended (I prefer to have it journaled) so
that you can store files over 4GB in size on it.  FAT32 is limited to 4GB
files, which may be a problem if you're working with e.g. large movie files.

The only real hassle would be moving all your data on the disk to somewhere
temporary while you format it, as this would of course, erase all the data on
it.

Regards,

Gav