Hi Peter,

Have you checked Console for messages when you Launch X11?
Launch Console from you Utilities folder and in the left pane select Console
Messages.
Leave it open, and then try to launch X11.
You should see a series of messages appear as X11 launches.

Are you getting an error message at some point in the sequence.
One likely point could be a font problem.

I know programs that run in X11 should launch it automatically.
I'm just suggesting it would be quicker and less complicated to see what the
hang-up is with X11 if you just launch it yourself without anything else
attempting to launch at the same time.

Have you check the Mac OS X Technologies > Unix discussions, they might be
worth trying.
<http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=735>

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB