On 15/03/2010, at 3:10 PM, Eugene wrote:

> Hi Merv,
>
> I had a similar attack today. It looked like an official update for Adobe
> Reader but apparently either sends Mac users an advert for some software.
> Apparently under windows it installed spyware on an earlier version.
>
> PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE LINKS IN THE E-MAIL BELOW!! I THINK I'VE
> DELETED THEM BUT DON'T RISK IT!!
>
>                     Regards,
>                     Eugene

I see this one come through at least once a week. The correct name for the
legitimate Adobe product is Acrobat Reader, NOT Adobe Reader. In any event,
just use Preview and forget about it.

And just for general reference, your bank is not sending you emails. Any
messages intended for you will be waiting for you the next time you log in to
your bank's website. Any and all emails from your bank (or any other financial
player such as eBay) must be immediately deleted. If you're running Windows
even the simple act of reading the messages can be fatal to your computer . Let
us all as Mac users be thankful that we're not as vulnerable as that!

If you're at all concerned about your bank account, insurance policy, eBay
account, etc, at least log in to those accounts separately to confirm their
status. NEVER click links in these messages, especially one which ask for your
password (an iron-clad guarantee that the message is bogus).

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948