Thanks for your considered reply Neil

I think you're right in that it may not be every night - and I had to do it one
night when I was awake, then again in the morning.

I have been through the network assistance wizard (whatever it's called) and
each time the suggested solution is to switch the modem off and on again -
which does work.

I'll try your other suggestions and report back, probably tomorrow if it
follows it's mostly usual pattern.

I wonder if this is particular to the latest iMacs?

Cheers

Mike Fuller