On 05/04/2010, at 4:33 PM, peta belczowski wrote:

> Hullo all
>
> I have had my Epson Stylus Photo R310 Printer for several years (probably a
> few several years!)  This printer was used mainly just for printing photos
> from my other PC (Microsoft stuff).  When I bought my first Apple Mac we
> plugged the Epson into the Apple and this is the only printer I use with the
> Mac.
>
> This has worked fine for about 2 years, but now there is a deterioration in
> the quality of my photos; i.e. I ca now see horizontal lines across each
> photo (faint, light).  Also, I don't think the colour is as sharp as it
> should be.  I don't use the printer all that often, because we can take bulk
> photos to Officeworks etc, so usually I just use the Epson when I have a
> small number of photos which I want immediately.  Plus general printing
> (which seems to be okay - I think, no need to print very often).
>
> I cannot find anything in WAMUG archives dealing with this problem
> specifically, and nor can I obtain any help from going online to Epson.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on how I can tell the Mac to "clean the
> printhead" or similar?  I do hope it is not anything manual that I have to
> do.  Keep the messy fingers for the computers nowadays please!
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Peta
>
> Mac OS X V.10.6.3

Hi Peta,

Sounds like you need to do "Head Cleaning".

In System Preferences > Print & Fax, click on your EPSON R310, then click on
"Options & Supplies" > Utility.
Then click on either "Clean Print Heads" or "Open Printer Utility" then "Head
Cleaning".

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard