OK - problem solved.

Whilst it was obvious the keyboard could only be "connected" to one computer
at a time, it would also seem that the keyboard can only be "paired" with
one computer at a time. Disconnecting the bluetooth keyboard from the 27"
was not enough, I had to remove it from the bluetooth list on the 27" and
then the keyboard became "discoverable" and connection with the 24" went as
normal.

FYI removing from the list was just selecting it in the Bluetooth prefs pane
and hitting the "-" button.

Cheers

Neil (who learns something new everyday!)
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia