a million points to Ronni (as ever) for her comments on partitioning a drive for two computers on one TM disc - I did quite a bit of research on the backing up of two macs when they both hit leopard recently and nobody had thought of that.

However I hit another snag that might make it all irrelevant - I read that you could plug a drive straight into the mac for the initial backup to save time and then update over a network, with the mac finding the drive for itself. It seems not. It either fails to find the drive at all or complains that it is not in hfs+ format (which it is).

I then found a snippet about belkin wireless routers not supporting hfs +. I would have thought routers just transmitted stuff and didn't have to 'support' anything, but what do I know?

What's odd is - I can happily copy files from the mac to the same drive (different partition) over the same network.

Thoughts very welcome

Kind regards
alastair

powermac G5
dual 2ghz
3.5g ram
10.5.8

(in this case iMac 1.8ghz pre-isight. 1,5ram 10.5.8)