On 26/04/2010, at 4:50 PM, Stuart Breden wrote:

I've just got a 21.5" Intel iMac and had the data from the old G5 transferred.

Since then with several programmes especially Genie Solutions <http://www.geniesolutions.com.au/>, the coloured spinning ball holds up the programme/s.

I've run Dick Utilities from the start up DVD and also run DiskWarrior but it still does it.

Can anyone help?

Genie is written using the 4D database, which has not been certified for Snow Leopard, the version of Mac OS X which you have on your new iMac. Make sure you are running the very latest version of Genie, but it's very difficult to know what other processes are going on following your data migration. It's possible that your Genie installation contains some old legacy resources which might be causing extra problems. Genie have the following to say on their website:

MacOSX Snow Leopard - Should I upgrade?PDFPrintE-mail

Apple's new OS, Snow Leopard was released on Friday 28th August 2009.

4th Dimension, the publishers of the database in which Genie is written, have not certified this version of 4D to run on Snow Leopard. This means that if a problem arose with the current or future versions of Snow Leopard, that 4D will not fix it. Having said that, hundreds of our users have already upgraded to Snow Leopard without encountering any significant problems.

There are currently only two known problems.

1. The Open Document dialog window is causing memory corruption which usually results in the application quitting after an Open Dialog has been displayed several times. This appears to be a bug in Apple's operating system, which affects all programs. We expect Apple will fix it in an upgrade.

2. 1-bit black and white TIFF images can't be viewed.This problem can be resolved with a program called GraphicConverter (http://www.lemkesoft.com/) to view the images (and resave them in a readable format if desired).

I would suggest that all you can do is to alert the Genie publishers to the problem and see if they can resolve it for you.

Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948