On 17/05/2010, at 3:14 PM, Crisp, Peter wrote:

> HI All, I have been having issues with my internet connection dropping out on
> my ADSL connection D-link Modem, which I don’t believe is connected with any
> Apple gear I have (Macbook with SL and Time Capsule), but I am curious that
> the backups seem to be dependant upon the Time Capsule having an active
> Internet connection to allow the Time Machine backup to run successfully.
>
> Am I imagining this or is this true that I should expect this behaviour? I
> would have thought that the backup is independent of there being an active
> Internet connection or not.

Hi Peter,

You are backing up to Time Capsule / Time Machine wirelessly aren't you, so yes
you do need to be connected to the Wireless Network.

Open AirPort Utility, choose yours from the left pane, Manual Setup and then
Time Capsule from the right and see if anything stands out.

You can also choose advanced from the top and find and browse the logs for any
other info.

<http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/TimeCapsule_SetupGuide.pdf>

You have not indicated whether you have tried any troubleshooting steps, so we
don't know if you may have already tried these basic steps:

1. Power cycle your network by powering everything off, order is not important.
Wait a few minutes then start the modem first and let it run by itself for a
few minutes, then start the Time Capsule the same way, and then your computers
the same way.

2. Try a different wireless channel setting on your Time Capsule for your
wireless network in case you may be picking up some interference from another
wireless network, cordless phones or nearby electronics.

Applications > Utilities >AirPort Utility > Manual Setup > Wireless tab
Click on the Channel setting to change your channel(s).

3. Open System Preferences and open Network
Click on the AirPort icon and then click Advanced at the lower right
Locate the name of your wireless network in the list and click the - (minus)
button to delete it.
Click OK, click Apply

4. Open Applications > Utilities > KeyChain Access
Locate the name of your network and delete this entry as well

5. Restart your computer and log on to your wireless network again.
-------------
I suggest you  download iStumbler and use the application to display your
signal strength and noise on your network.
What values do you see for each of these?

Also look at any other networks to see if they might be using the same channel
or an adjacent channel as your wireless network.
If so, change the channel on your wireless network so that it is as far away as
possible from other networks.

If you have cordless phones, turn them all off for at least an hour when you
can to see if your network performance improves.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)