In recent years there have beed IDE drives followed by SATA drives.

If the case containing the 300 gig hard drive is only usb 1 I'm guessing it is
of the IDE era as usb 1 has been largely replaced by usb 2 in recent years.
(Although 300 Gb was rare at that time)

A new 1 Tb drive is most likely a SATA drive.

Physical size is the other consideration. Most Desktop machines or externally
powered Hard drives were 3.5". Most laptops or USB powered external drives are
2.5"

You need to determine both the type of drive and the physical size before you
can be certain they are interchangeable.

Having said that I bought an external 2.5" SATA HD enclosure off eBay for about
$8 delivered. Why don't you see if you can purchase an enclosure once you know
what type of drive you've got and keep them both?

                     Regards,
                     Eugene

<<inline: (null) 4.tiff>>