Hi Rob,

SketchUp is free 3D software with a (very) large following - I haven't
really  played with it yet but I'm sure it can cope with a helix (and more)
- check it out here:

<http://www.google.com/sketchup/download/>

They have lots of examples and you may even find a ready-drawn spring in
their component libraries.

Cheers

Neil
--