Hi Adrian, I have a process where I continuously synchronise photos
between an XP laptop and a Macbook in that direction almost weekly -
this is so that I can have the collection available in two places. I
presume you want the photos and music on the imac hard drive and not on
a connected external drive.

I use a FAT32 formatted external drive connected to my Time Capsule.
When in iPhoto - I go to File menu and select "Import" and then browsing
to the root folder in the first instance (or specific folder for
subsequent updates) iPhoto will nicely bring them in and order them for
you. It can take some time depending on the size of your collection. I
presume this is a once off operation for you.

It's a similar process with iTunes to import from Windows machines to
OSX based machines.

Once you've done the import, if you have a remote drive for Time
Machine, the next update will in turn recognise the import of the
Photos/Music and take quite a bit of time to synch with the imac but its
automatic and pretty seamless.

I'm sure Ronni will have a more elegant way of doing and articulating
this.

Regards

Peter...