On 04/08/2010, at 12:38 PM, Malcolm McCallum wrote:

> I have been sent an .ocx file which 'pages' has happily opened but when I
> send it to my daughter whose computer is on the darkside she cannot open it
> :-(
>
> Where do I go next?
>

> Mac

While the general suggestion has been made that your .ocx file may be
interpreted as a misnamed ".docx" file, this may not necessarily be the case.
Taken from <http://www.file-extensions.org/ocx-file-extension>, the following
is their explanation of the .ocx file extension:

File extension OCX description:
An OCX is an Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) custom control, a
special-purpose program that can be created for use by applications running on
Microsoft's Windows systems. OCXs provide such functions as handling scroll bar
movement and window resizing. If you have a Windows system, you'll find a
number of files in your Windows directory with the OCX file name suffix.
Object Linking and Embedding was designed to support compound documents (which
contain multiple information types, such as text, graphic images, sound, motion
video). The Windows desktop is an example of a compound document and Microsoft
used OLE to build it. OLE and the Component Object Model (COM), a more general
concept that succeeded OLE, support the development of "plug-and-play" programs
that can be written in any language and used dynamically by any application in
the system. These programs are known as components and the application in which
they are run is known as a container. This component-based approach to
application development reduces development time and improves the program
capability and quality. Windows application development programs such as
PowerBuilder and Microsoft Access take advantage of OCXs.
Microsoft now calls an OCX an ActiveX control, the component object under
Microsoft's set of ActiveX technologies, of which the fundamental concept is
the Component Object Model (COM) and, in a network, the Distributed Component
Object Model (DCOM).
An OCX or ActiveX control is actually implemented as a dynamic link library DLL
module. (You can think of a DLL program as a "subprogram" that can be used by
any number of application programs, each of which is a "container" for the DLL
or OCX/ActiveX control "object.") Visual Basic and C++ are commonly used to
write OCX or ActiveX controls.

Clear as mud? Thought so. The fact that the file opened for you in Pages is
probably a happy coincidence. Take Daniel K's suggestion: export it as a Word
or PDF file and send that to your daughter. This simply reinforces the fact
that the three-character file extension is one of the greatest crimes against
the world of computing that Microsoft has committed in its long existence, and
there have been plenty of others. The great tragedy is that has forced everyone
else, even Apple, to comply purely for compatibility reasons.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948