From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Martin Hill
Sent: Wednesday, 11 August 2010 11:03 AM
To: wamug@wamug.org.au
Subject: EyeTV vs set-top box (was Re: Used Macbook)

I've had several HDD digital TV set-top boxes in past years but I've
found an EyeTV-equipped Mac connected to a big screen to be far superior
even for simple recording schedules, let alone all the other features
(Note that AppleTV won't do any off-air TV recording so none of this is
possible with that box).  Here's just a few reasons:

- SmartGuides in EyeTV for example are far superior to time and date
scheduling as you just type in a keyword like "David Attenborough" or
"science fiction" or "sbs news" and it will automatically record every
documentary or movie that has that name in either the title or the
paragraph description or type that accompanies every show in the
Electronic Program Guide.  Priceless, particularly when broadcasters
move shows around or cancel or start them back up with little notice.  I
must have 30 or more smart guides for all sorts of shows and categories
on my TV iMac.  Smart Guides also allow you to enter complex criteria to
weed out duplicates on HD channels etc if you want to get fancy.
Smartguides can also be set to only keep a set number of a particular
show, so we always have the last two days worth of the Ten, ABC, SBS and
Nine evening news sitting on our Mac ready to watch if we so wish.

- Exporting to iPod format means I have been able to build up a large
library of movies, docos, Playschool (yes we have a toddler) and other
recordings on a separate hard drive array that take up far less room
than the huge MPEG-2 files that come down straight from the broadcaster
and which fill the HDDs of set top boxes far too quickly.  Of course,
these can also easily be synched with your iPhone etc since they are
already on the Mac - no disc burning or complex file transfers needed.

- MUCH friendlier user interface - Using the built-in scheduling
interfaces of most set-top boxes in my experience can be a very
frustrating, cramped, limiting experience trying to enter data from a
stupidly complex remote control.  Instead being able to use a wireless
mouse and Apple's excellent Bluetooth keyboard is SO much easier, there
is no comparison.

- If you need to record more than just one or two channels
simultaneously, adding extra EyeTV receivers is an exercise in
simplicity - plug it in a spare USB port, connect the antenna and voila!
an extra TV channel.  I've had 4 or more EyeTV units running on our
lounge room iMac in the past allowing me to view and/or record up to
that many channels simultaneously, all appearing in separate windows on
the 50" Plasma.  Picture-in-Picture eat your heart out.  :-)

- Cost.  If you already have a useable Mac, an EyTV DTT USB receiver can
be as cheap as $120.  Maybe add a nice big external hard disk for your
Mac and it is still cheaper than a decent set-top box.  If you do need
to buy a Mac Mini, the extra expense is usually worth it considering all
of the computer-based things you can then also do on the big Plasma
screen.

Having such a large library of up-to-the minute pre-recorded shows means
we never watch live TV so we don't sit there wasting our time with ads
or shows we aren't really interested in.  As a result we actually watch
less TV than we ever did before because we only watch exactly what is
interesting, we are not slaves to the TV schedule, we skip all the ads
and when a recording finishes, we have to make the conscious decision to
double-click another recording rather than sitting there in a vegetative
state watching one bit of TV flotsam flow into another.

IMHO of course.   :-)

-Mart

Martin Hill
mailto:mart_h...@mac.com