On 12/08/2010, at 12:43 PM, Diana & Graham Stevens wrote:

I have enjoyed using Eudora for more than 13 years but now it is running very slowly (despite re-install), quits for no reason and keeps creating new mailboxes (with numeric titles) containing duplicates of some emails. Time for a change to Mail.

I would like to retain my archive of mailboxes so I can search them.

If anybody has advice on how to go about this I should be very grateful.

[Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5, 4 GB DDR SDRAM, OS 10.4.11]

Cheers to all from Diana [WAMUG 892]

Hi Diana,

If you're moving to Mail from Eudora, skip Mail's built-in importing feature and instead use the free utility <http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Eudora_Mailbox_Cleaner.html>Eudora Mailbox Cleaner. In addition to being much faster than importing, it handles attachments, nicknames, and filters-all in one pass.

If you're moving from Eudora to Mail, this utility painlessly converts your mailboxes and messages (including attachments!), nicknames, and even filters to work with Mail and Address Book.

Migrate Eudora Messages into Apple Mail:

<<http://www.it.northwestern.edu/accounts/email/config/applemail/applemail-migrate.html>http://www.it.northwestern.edu/accounts/email/config/applemail/applemail-migrate.html>

Thanks for the advice Ronni and Patrick

I have downloaded the file and printed the 'Read Me'. It is not going to be a simple task.

One problem is that I have more than one mailbox and thus I have multiple Eudora Folders which I run from the Dock via the Settings Files.

Does Mail allow this system or do I need to consolidate the mail boxes from my accounts into one?

To complicate matters the Eudora Folders are not in the Documents Folder on the System disk on but on the disk I use for my files. The Eudora Application Folder is in the correct spot in Applications on the System Disk.

Should I move everything to the System Disk?

Also I presume I set up Mail, refuse any import offered during the process, then quit and run Eudora Mailbox Cleaner. Please let me know if this is not the case.

Diana