Bob,
Good to hear from you again. Hope all is going well for you.
I know when one posts a question there is no obligation on the part of list members to respond so when none came I went ahead and dragged Merv to the external HD. Then last night your response came. Thank you for that. I am now reconsidering my position!!! The HD is a WD MyBookWorld 1TB and is for network backup - it has an ethernet connection and a USB 2 for add-ons. For the first backup the instructions suggest a direct ethernet connection between computer and HD. I did that and 55GB took about an hour to transfer. Tested access to some files. All OK. The documentation for the HD says it supports HTTP, HTTPS, HFS+J, CIFS/SMB, NFS, FTP. Disk Utility does no 'see' the HD so I cannot check as to its format. SuperDuper requires HFS+J, but I cannot check this - clicking on the icon an selecting Get Info does not show format either. I could try a User backup with SuperDuper and see how far it gets.
I have another HD with firewire as a bootable backup.
Thank you for your response.
Merv