Are you trying to repair the volume you have booted off (the external drive)? Or are you trying to repair the internal drive of the computer? If you've got two volumes that are both labelled Macintosh HD you need to distinguish between them. Because Disk Utility usually won't let you repair the Volume that you're booting off.

Quoting bred...@highway1.biz:

Hi there

Was trying to repair the disk of one of our Intel iMacs with Disk Utility having started up from an external hard drive.

I was able to repair the permissions and verify the disk. However when I tried to repair the disk I got this error message: "Disk Utility stopped 'Macintosh HD'. Could
not unmount disk".

Please explain and make suggestions?

Stuart Breden

Andrew McColl