From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au [mailto:wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au] On
Behalf Of Ray Forma
Sent: Tuesday, 31 August 2010 10:07 AM
To: WAMUG List Mailing
Cc: John Hatch
Subject: Re: Mac mini vers iMac

John,

1 Mini slightly less powerful than is the iMac

2 Both difficult to put in bigger drives and memory. If you want to
use your mac as your TV, and think you will want to record several
programs to hard disk and keep them for some time then you should
install a bigger hard disk. I have surprised myself with how many TV
programs I have on my Mini's hard disk to either view at a more
convenient time, or to assemble in a suite for burning to DVD for
permanent storage.

3 If screen dies with iMac then you throw away the whole machine
unless you have extended warranty because new screen fitting costs
more than a new iMac.

4 You can connect any size and make of screen to a Mini, including
HDMI equipped TVs. Mini maximum resolution is 2560 by 1600 pixels.
iMac maximum resolution is  also 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external
monitor, but no HDMI to connect to a TV screen. You can only connect
computer monitors to an iMac, unless you buy a TV convertor
connector. However, most monitors give much better & consistent
colour compared with most TV screens.

5 iMac has stereo speakers. Mini has simpler speaker, so you will
probably want to connect Mini optically to an audio amp and speakers,
especially if you want the 5-channel sound available with HD TV
program streams. If you connect via copper audio cable the you will
only get 2-channel audio from your Mini. iMac also has optical audio
out, if you want 5-channel audio from HD program streams.

6 The Mini is more portable.

7 Can colour calibrate all built-in and attached monitors with both
Mini and iMac. On Mini can also colour calibrate attached TV screens.
Hardware calibration much better than using the Monitor panel in
System Prefs, but you have to buy the calibrator device.

On 28/08/2010, at 10:38 , John Hatch wrote:

> I notice a lot of mail about the Mac mini. I am about to upgrade
> from my Mac book pro (prismo) and was considering either the mini
> or the iMac with fusion(have to work between win and Mac) and
> elagato eye TV additions. Would be interested in any pros and cons
> by others
>
> John
>
> Sent from my iPad

Regards,

Ray Forma
50 Harvest Road, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia
Tel & Fax +61 (0)8 9335 6568
Mob +61 (0) 428 596938

*****************************
NOTICE - This message from Hatch is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential or proprietary.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. By communicating with us via e-mail, you accept such risks.  When
addressed to our clients, any information, drawings, opinions or advice
(collectively, "information") contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions expressed in the governing agreements.  Where no such agreement
exists, the recipient shall neither rely upon nor disclose to others, such
information without our written consent.  Unless otherwise agreed, we do not
assume any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the
information set out in this e-mail.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and destroy and delete the
message from your computer.