Hi Bill & Neil,

Bill, check you only have one version of Skype on your computer, and it is in
"Applications".
The current version is 2.8.0.851, you can download it from here:
<http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-computer/macosx/>

Make sure Skype is not Open (Active) whenever you install a new version of
Skype.

Bill & Neil, Skype does not store password directly. Instead it stores the
encrypted hash of the password!

"The Skype server has a private key, and distributes that key's public
counterpart with every copy of the software.
As part of user registration, the user selects a desired username and password.
Skype locally generates public and private keys.
The private key and a hash of the password are stored as securely as possible
on the user's computer (in Keychain).

Then a 256-bit AES-encrypted session is established with the Skype server. The
client creates a session key using its random number generator.
The Skype server verifies that the selected username is unique and that follows
Skype's naming rules.
The server stores the username and a hash of the hash of the user's password
[H(H(P))] in its database.
The server now forms and signs an identity certificate for the username that
binds the username, its verification key and the key identifier".

"You can optionally set Skype to remember your Skype Name and Password on this
computer. This feature is convenient but should only be used in circumstances
where you control access to the computer.
Never use this option on a public computer or one for which you cannot monitor
use.
You can change this setting at any time from the Skype program by going to the
“Skype” menu and selecting “Preferences”.