On 21/09/2010, at 8:40 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> Sorry Peter,
>
> I just re-read your email properly instead of skimming it ;-(
> The first numerical character indicates the last digit of the year of
> production, which in my Serial Number is the 2nd digit.
> C02CKxxxxxxx.
> Its first two letters determine its place of manufacture for example, so the
> C indicates it was made in China, the 0 (zero) indicates the year was 2010.
>
> Cheers,
> Ronni

Hmm... My iMac's S/N starts with W8742XXXXXX.
http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php says this means the
computer was also manufactured in China (W, not C) and that its YOM was indeed
2007 (3rd digit). The 42 indicates that it was manufactured in the 42nd week of
the year.

<http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/how-to-decipher-understand-apple-mac-serial-number-format.html>
 gives a much more detailed description of the structure of the Apple Serial
Number, and shows that the manufacturing location is represented by the first
two digits, so that in my case W8 actually represents Shanghai, China. The
third digit does indeed represent the final of the YOM.

Interestingly, the site also shows that there are any of seven possible
manufacturing location codes that can represent China.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948