Update:

No good news.

I restarted my Mac Mini from a Snow Leopard DVD then erased the Mac Mini hard
disk.

I installed Snow Leopard and the computer appeared to function normally. I did
not load anything back onto the disk from my Time Machine disk.

I then installed the latest Combo update that I downloaded yesterday and saved
to an external drive.

Now after restart from that combo update, I have gone back to my starting
problem I.e. When the computer gets to the user login screen, my keyboard, and
the mouse clicks are unresponsive.   I am assuming that if I do a safe boot at
this stage, then it will work properly, but that is not a long term solution,
and I need to go to bed, not spend more time trying to rectify this.

Sent from my iPhone