The opinion of one salesman about Brother was that they're not bad for laser
printers, but they fall short on inkjet. But yep, Brother worth a look if you
need A3, and according to the same sales guy, no prob with Mac compatibility.

To clarify for others though, the HPs I mentioned (8500 and 8500A) accommodated
'legal size' paper for flatbed scanning. Not A3. I think you need to move up to
higher end commercial stuff for A3.

A4 = 210 × 297mm
Foolscap = 210 × 330mm
Legal (USA) = 216 × 356mm