Hi Tom,

Have you tried using Disk Utility to "Repair Disk" of the external Time Machine
Drive?
Disk Utility > Repair Drive

If Disk Utility finds any errors & fixes them, run it again, until it doesn't
find any errors.

How are you entering Time Machine  and "Accessing the files" ?
What are you trying to do with the file … 'Restore' it?

Is this the Time Machine Drive you did a 'System Restore' from yesterday?

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)