Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I did take the MBP off mains, as I had the
same thought as Pete. I've only had the machine a few weeks, and may be
missing something obvious. Is there an eject button, if so where? I thought
the button on top right was the power button.

When the machine went funny, I was replacing the batteries in my wireless
mouse. It's not completely frozen, the trackpad still mostly works, some
applications will still come up, after 30 seconds or more, mostly I get the
spinning wheel. When I tried a restart, I was offered the chance to save an
open Appleworks file, but buttons were inactive.

Cheers, David.

=====