On 09/11/2010, at 7:57 AM, Stephen Chape wrote:

> Me too .. any opinions folks ?
>
> On 08/11/2010, at 3:45 PM, Paul Weaver wrote:

Personally, I have no opinion of the product since I have never used it. Based
on my experience with similar software which I have previously installed and
subsequently removed in each case following a variety of unnecessary problems
from performance hits to unnecessary messages, the singe question I ask still
remains: what are we being protected from with this stuff?

 I know the security press is full of dire warnings of all kinds surrounding
security on the Mac, but the reality is that as today there is still no
self-propogating malware (viruses) in existence for Mac OS X. Yes, there are
demonstrable exploits, but every single one of these depends on some deliberate
behaviour on the part of the user. Even the most recent ones involving Facebook
(and you can't even get it unless you're on Facebook) requires permission from
the user to install. It's also true that we may, eventually, some time in the
future, see somethings a bit more threatening, but that hasn't happened yet.
This year is the tenth birthday of Mac OS X, and we still haven't seen any of
this stuff emerge. Installing something like Sophos or any of its cousins now
won't protect us from it when and if it does finally hit. The best virus
software in the world, even on Windows, is ineffective against Zero-Day
exploits, which is what the first true Mac OS X virus will undoubtedly be. Even
on Windows, the best malware protection remains User Behaviour.

For me, it's still a case of Move Along...There's Nothing To See Here.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 064 948