From: wamug-ow...@wamug.org.au on behalf of Ronda Brown\par

Sent: Wed 11/10/2010 1:00 PM\par

Subject: Re: Useful MS .docx file tip\par

 \par

On 10/11/2010, at 10:13 AM, Ray Forma wrote:\par

\par

> \par

> Did you know that Word's DOCX file format is a glorified ZIP file? Change the extension to ZIP, unzip it, and you'll find all of the document's original assets, including the images as individual files in a folder.\par

> \par

> Images are in the resulting media folder in .png format, and they are in the same resolution as they are in the MS Word document. Note that one of the 'superior hidden features' of MS Word is that it often reduces the resolution of images without the user knowing.\par

> \par

> To get the text, open the 'document.xml' file with Safari.\par

> \par

> Regards,\par

> \par

> Ray Forma\par

> Tel +61 (0)8 9335 6568\par

> Mob +61 (0) 428 596938\par

\par

Hi Ray,\par

\par

You are correct in what you have said, but what is your reasoning behind going to all that trouble, why don't you either use TextEdit or Pages Application to open the Word DOCX files? Is it because you wish to just use the images or original assets?\par

\par

Double click the docx file and it will open in which ever Application you have set as default.\par

\par

You have been able to  Open & Edit and save back in Word .docx format from Text Edit and Open & Edit and 'Export' as Word.docx from Pages for a long time.\par

\par

Cheers,\par

Ronni\par

\par

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7\par

2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm\par

\par

OS X 10.6.4 Snow Leopard\par

Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)\par

\par

\par

\par

\par

\par

\par

\par

\par

\par

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --\par