Morning,

I do not use FCE. But for AVCHD devices or basically any card/HD recordable
devices within Final Cut Pro, log and capture is the way of importing. So, I
assume FCE should do same?
Except JVC for which I use iMedia Converter: in past MPEG streamline.

Problem Files:
Normally one can just transfer files from Camera to Mac device, as they are
basically a USB device.Hence mounted to system.
Finder usually indicates this so utilise it or Image Capture. Otherwise
Terminal - command line opens the hierarchal file system of OS X. (Midnight
Commander a great tool, be very careful).
Then log and capture file from area or converter software yes annoying but such
is life. Other options with such devices is capture through Windows something I
accomplish more and more hence MBP is dual booting now just for this scenario.
I then move converted files to OS X server for use within Mac machines.

Problems arise usually between devices not talking to OS X wether Apple or
Device manufacturer who Knows.
Make sure mounted? Visible within Finder or at least card should be.
If using card reader try connecting camera directly.
If camera visible but no transfer, try accessing through command line.
If Device just not talking to OS X and relative software try manufacturers
website or ring them, contact point of purchase JB hifi staff good for this
normally.
Contact Apple directly or through emails making them aware of issues.

Cheers!
`RobD...